Google Analytics tags

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

A little of my 993 online history:

I have been involved with online Porsche enthusiast technical forums since 2008 with 9000+ entries to them. I guess I am a very social animal and love to speak to my experiences and share them with others. 

Not being a professional technician I also have personally experienced where the aggressive sales and pricing tactics of the automotive servicing industry in some cases run amuck in helping users of their services. With this in mind, I gain a great deal of personal satisfaction if I can impart technical information that owners of vehicles can use to inform their negotiation as to what work, and at what price when bringing their car in for servicing. I also take great delight in guiding others in the rewarding world of Do It Yourself (DIY) automotive servicing and repair and the considerable cost savings that result.

At one point I noticed I spent a lot of time recreating duplicate responses to similar technical questions on forums. None of my individual responses covered a subject in its entirety and repeating similar responses became the norm and a lot of work.

For several years, I published a series of topics covered in a more comprehensive manner as a consolidated PDF. With regular updates, these were published on enthusiast technical forums and forwarded to Magazine editors. I found it becoming such a large document that navigation to a specific topic for the readers of it became problematic. Also, for me, version control was difficult at best.

To resolve these issues I moved my PDF content to this Blog where  I spend considerable time researching authoring and editing topics in the most comprehensive manner I can. Then I need only point to it when the topic comes up more than once, sometimes a lot more than once, on various enthusiasts and social forums.

Some of the Blog postings on my site serve to consolidate technical discussions on a topic and back them up with my personal experiences and in some cases expert verification, this is the value for some readers on some specific topics.

After having authored what is now 100+ topics it occurred to me that there may be an interest in the body of work as a consolidated source of technical information from readers outsides of traditional enthusiast technical forum communities.

My efforts must be in the right direction when I see an unsolicited comment about my blog on a technical 993 discussion forum; " It's great that someone is starting to consolidate a lot of info that they've learned personally and from this forum. Searching for problems and solutions  [in forums]  can be tedious at times."

It occurred to me early in 2020 that I spend a lot of time curating and updating the existing body of work and, creating new topics so I added the donation button to gauge the actual value of the information I present. 

In 2021, I have reached the threshold of a minimum of 3000 visitors to my blog per month, who would think?
They come from all over the world, raw numbers for over a recent 6-month period:




Now after a two-year application period, I have added Google AdSense banner advertisements to the blog.

Recently some folks have taken issue with my accepting donations for some reason even though making a donation is completely voluntary. Believe me, when I tell you, the donations and advertising banner revenue to date don't cover the cost of the coffee I consume working on the blog, not Starbucks, just the stuff that I spoon out of the bag myself from COSTCO into my vintage Porsche-Designed twenty-year-old BOSCH drip coffee maker.




If you have any further questions about my blog and how and why it works or about our cars, I am always delighted to hear from my Blog visitors!

Best regards,
Andy
Andrew Hess
Dallas, TX
804.252.3193
andrew.hess@differentlight.biz

No comments:

Post a Comment