Google Analytics tags

Sunday, March 22, 2020

High-Mounted Stop Light Safety Upgrade


A while back I added a special tail light LED bulb to my motorcycle that strobes for a few moments when I first use the brakes. It really grabs the attention of the drivers behind me when I touch the brakes adding to safety. 

The 993 has a roofline that falls below the window sill and hood line of many minivans, cross-overs and pickup trucks on the road today. For this reason, it can be nearly invisible to some inattentive drivers at night. For this reason, I purchased a LED conversion kit for the high-mounted stop light and added an inexpensive controller (eBay) to it resulting in the following result when I touch the brakes.
Here is a video of the results:



















Here is the LED conversion: LED conversion kit
Here is the flash controller: Strobing LED Controller
I was even, with a slight modification to a rib in the base and one in the cover, was able to fit the controller inside the light bar housing so there was no need to go into the car to do the install.

It begs the question if a controller could be integrated into the light bar so it can also cause a split L/R chaser light function to denote directionality? This development I will leave to others.




No comments:

Post a Comment